Recent Posts

Archive

Tags

No tags yet.

Old Houses

I LIKE OLD HOUSES BEST DON’T YOU?

THEY NEVER GO CLUTTERING UP A VIEW

WITH ROOFS TOO RED AND PAINT TOO NEW,

WITH DOORS TOO GREEN AND BLINDS TOO BLUE:

THE OLD ONES LOOK AS IF THEY GREW.

THEIR BRICKS MAY BE DINGY, THEIR CLAPBOARDS ASKEW FROM SITTING SO MANY SEASONS THROUGH, BUT THEY’VE LEARNED IN A HUNDRED YEARS OR TWO-NOT TO GO CLUTTERING UP A VIEW.

Joyce land Tourist Home, 1927 This popular vacation spot was situated on Squantz Pond. When excavations began for this building (still standing today), an entire skeleton was unearthed, believed to be Chief Squantz resting in his camping ground. Keith Joyce also found arrowheads, tomahawks,and other implements on the property.

Photo courtesy of Leonard Copicotto.

October House, 1947 Located on the 1867 Beers map of New Fairfield at the intersection of what is now Route 37 and Saw Mill Road, this home was built by David Barnum in October 1771. Later it became well known as the home of Bruce Rogers (1925-1957), world famous typographer and book designer. The home was razed in 1989. The original structure was actually the middle portion as pictured here.

Photo courtesy of New Fairfield Free Public Library.

Great Meadow School, 1930s This schoolhouse was built after the flooding of Candlewood Lake, as the original school of this district was lost to the lake. Town records show that, in 1880, there were 32 students in New Fairfield Schools. A teacher's salary in that same year was $26 per month. Before the construction of Consolidated School in 1941 there were seven one room school districts in New Fairfield.

Photo courtesy of New Fairfield Free Public Library.

Kellogg House,1885 The Kellogg family put on their best “ ib and tucker" and brought out the prize horses and even the dog to pose in front of this stately homestead. The house still stands on Kellogg Street, now in Brookfield. Before Candlewood Lake was created, this was actually part of New Fairfield's Woodcreek district.

Photo courtesy of Ken Kellogg.


  • facebook

©2017 by Preserve New Fairfield. Proudly created with Wix.com